Monday, January 23, 2012

pop tarts gone terribly right!

I found a recipe on the Food Network site for homemade toaster pastries that didn't look all that great because whoever created it used shortenning.  Who eats that crap, anyway?  But I liked the idea and came up with a similar recipe made with good old fashioned butter that turned out quite delicious.  So I decided to share it with you.  I'm so very nice, aren't I?

My 5 year old daughter was in charge of taking pictures and she didn't do too bad.  She probably took 4 dozen as she filled up what was left of my SD card, so I had a lot to choose from.

I decided upon strawberry and chocolate toaster pastries and not to toot my own horn, but they're pretty darn good.  (Who am I kidding? I love to toot my own horn; isn't that what blogging is all about?)

Here's the basic recipe:

Pastry dough
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. (1 stick) of cold butter
3/4 c. milk
1 egg plus 2 tbsp. water (whisked together)

In a food processor, pulse together flour, baking powder, salt and butter until butter is incorporated into pea-size and smaller chunks.  Pour into a mixing bowl and add milk.  Stir with a spatula to incorporate.  When it becomes a dough consistency, turn out onto a floured surface.  Roll dough to 1/8 inch or less.  Cut into rectangles measuring 4" by 5".  Add 1-2 tablespoons of preserves, jam or other desired filling to half of the pastry rectangles, spreading to about an inch from the edges.  Brush edges with egg wash and top with another rectangle of dough, making sure to gently press air from the pocket.  Use a fork to seal the edges.  Gently press the top of the pastry to make sure the filling is evenly spread.  Prick the tops with the fork and place on an un-greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes.  They aren't supposed to be brown at all, but I found that the pastry was a little flakier and had a more buttery flavor if they are very slightly golden.

Store them in a ziplock for a few days or in the freezer for up to a month.

 

 

this is one of the fillings I used.  YUM!

Hot out of the oven!

This is the other filling...DOUBLE YUM!

Chocolate Filling:
1 bag of Guittard semi sweet chocolate chips
approx. 1/4 c. heavy cream

Melt chocolate in a double boiler.  Add cream and stir until shiny and smooth.  You're looking for a little thicker than a fondue consistency.  Allow to cool to room temperature before filling pastries.

Optional Icing Glaze (but don't add this unless you're using a toaster oven or until after you've toasted them in a regular toaster or you'll have a mess!):
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. milk or cream
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla

I made my icing pink and added red and pink sprinkles.  As I was doing this I thought how cute these would be made into heart shapes for Valentine's day.  I think I might have to make a yummy, flaky, chocolate-filled, heart-shaped breakfast in a few weeks.  YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh yummy! I don't do too much baking yet since the kitchen is STILL covered in drywall dust and my temperamental stove insists on burning things. Do you deliver? :)

    ReplyDelete