Wednesday, March 14, 2012

better than Krispy Kreme?

I was visiting with my lovely neighbor today and her son kept asking when he could eat his donut. She kept saying "later," very much frustrating him, and I was amused at how similarly the same situation would have gone down at my house.  I mentioned to her that my sister gave me a very delicious recipe for donuts. I've made them only twice, but they are heavenly.  I couldn't stop thinking about them, so my girls and I decided that we needed to make a batch.  I'm sure she didn't make up the recipe, but I'm crediting Carol anyway since she introduced me to this delicious slice of fatty, sugary bliss.

Carol's Donuts
2 T. yeast
⅓ c. warm water
1½ c. whole milk
5 T. butter
¼ c. sugar
1 ½ t. salt
2 eggs
23 oz. flour (must be weighed)

Combine yeast and water in mixing bowl.  In small saucepan over low heat, stir together milk, butter, sugar and salt until butter just melts.  Add to yeast mixture.  Add eggs and flour and mix together (dough should be light and sticky). Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).  Roll out dough on floured surface to about 1" thick.  Cut into donut shapes.  Let rise another 30 minutes.  Deep fry donuts in med-hi oil until golden.  (don't have the oil too hot or the donuts will be dark on the outside and raw in the middle.  Drain on paper towels.  Roll in sugar or drizzle with glaze if desired.

just after they were cut out



YUMMY!

I dipped the girls' donuts in a runny glaze of powdered sugar, milk and vanilla, then added sprinkles.  For the adults (ie: me), I coated them in white cane sugar with a small amount of cinnamon added.  I let the girls have one donut and 2 holes.  I think I ate 4 donuts and no less than 6 holes and then was comatose on the couch until my stomach ache subsided.  I do not, under any circumstances, recommend eating that many in one sitting.  You WILL pay a harsh price.

No comments:

Post a Comment