Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lunch Time "Fun"

I made homemade mac and cheese today for lunch.  One of the most delicious things to grace our kitchen, if I do say so myself.  There is nothing quite like a mix of butter, cheese and milk mixed with carbs.  Mmmmmm.  And all just for me and my daughters.  After a morning of running errands and the girls being so well behaved, I decided to put lunch on the table so the girls and I could sit down and enjoy it together.  It turned out to be such a lovely lunch with no mishaps and nothing but rainbows and sunshine.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!

My first mistake was having expectations of a peaceful and happy lunch.  My second mistake was letting my two year old choose her own seat, which was not in her booster.  I spent the first 10 minutes telling her to get back in her chair and the last 10 minutes cleaning up the cup of red juice she spilled all over the floor.  Someone explain to me why it is that children think that they are the ones that get to cry when they spill?  They do not spend the next several days wiping it up because there's still a layer of sticky on the floor.  No, I argue, I should be the one allowed to cry.  I am the most affected.  Her wet pants and socks can easily be changed...by me.  Wow, there are a lot of "me's" and "I's" in that last part.  Alright, I'll try to be the grown up, but only after I throw my fit.  SOME DAYS!

Many mistakes were made in this scenario besides the two obvious ones listed above.  I should not have continued to repeat myself and given her ten chances to obey me by sitting in her chair.  I should not have then gotten upset when, by my own fault of not enforcing my rules, she made a mess.  I probably should have not told her not to cry.  I should have; I shouldn't have.  The list could go on.  I did not scar her for life.  She told me she loved me after all of it and did the same.  I still find her just as stinking adorable as ever...just a little more sticky.

We all learned an important lesson today: it's only OK for moms to cry over spilt juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment