Thursday, June 2, 2011

Martha, Martha, Martha

Martha Stewart and I have a love-hate relationship.  Well, I have a love-hate relationship with her.  She doesn't know I exist.  If she did, she'd LOVE me.  I used to simply love her until she promoted this brilliant idea of making chocolate bowls for your Valentine.  You simply blow up a small balloon, dip it in melted chocolate, let it set up, then gently deflate the balloon.  Voila!  You're left with a perfectly round chocolate bowl for ice cream or whatever delicious romance you can serve up.  Sounds easy, no?  Yeah, well, being young and inexperienced in these things, I didn't let my chocolate cool enough and upon dipping my balloons in the melted chocolate, they popped, splattering chocolate everywhere.  And I mean everywhere: on the ceiling, up into the recesses of the hood above the stove, onto the curtains 6 feet away, up my nose.  I found little specks of chocolate in the adjoining room years later.  To this day, I'm not so certain Martha's Things are all that Good, and I approach her ideas with great trepidation.  I do admire her.  If she weren't around, I wouldn't have that story to tell.  I just wish the editor would have included "let cool" in the directions...for those of us who had horrible physics professors.

Well, I happened upon a free subscription to Living, and got sucked in once again.  I really do enjoy reading it.  This time, I found something pretty cute and it didn't have balloons involved.  Though it's not her original idea (is anything really?), I have to credit her magazine for introducing it to me.  I made some pretty stinking cute Father's Day cards, if I do say so myself.  The directions on marthastewart.com were pretty bad, so I googled "folded shirt card" and got some better illustrated instructions.  So, here you go, write your message, fold away, and impress the fathers in your life. 

(I used 6.5 x 11" paper size and added a pocket with puffy tape)

1 comment:

  1. Love it! And I can totally sympathize with you, or should I say, have your back on the Martha relationship!

    ReplyDelete