Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sweet Baby Girl

A friend of mine is having a baby girl.  This wouldn't be unusual or overly exciting for most, but this particular friend has 3 boys already.  We were all shocked and thrilled for her when she told us she was expecting a girl this time around.  She's a wonderful mom and I've always thought that good parents should have lots of kids.   My sweet friend, Tiffany thought it would be fun to shower her with girl clothes and accessories (since her house is full of all things boy), so she recruited a couple of us to help throw her a shower.  Our friend, Meredith, is a wedding planner and what better person to help with a party than a party planner, right?  She was amazing.  I can't take much credit for this party other than the cupcakes (shocking, right?) and it happened to be at my house.  I can't really even take much credit for my house being clean, since my mother did much of it the night before when she was babysitting for my girls.  (I have the BEST mom ever - don't even try to argue that one, you'll lose.)

So, in addition to the beautiful decorations and candy buffet that was set up on my dining room table, there was a lovely fruit display that was made to look like a baby buggy (thanks to Renee).  The main cupcake request was carrot cake, which honestly, I can hardly say aloud without gagging a little, but my friend over at MommaCakes gave me her fail-safe recipe and I hear they tasted good (to those strange people who eat veggies in their cake).  I also made devil's food and butter cupcakes, for the rest of us.
Carrot with Cream Cheese frosting

Butter with Classic Vanilla Buttercream

Devils Food with Buttercream
(and, to toot my own horn, those little hot chocolate cups on top were my favorite!)

The punch was a hit too, though again, I can't claim credit for it.  We did a chocolate coffee punch and a strawberries and cream punch that were both amazing.  I think the recipes were found online somewhere, but here they are!

Pink Strawberry Punch
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
1 2-liter Strawberry soda
1 qt. fresh strawberries, coarsely mashed

Allow ice cream to soften and add 2/3 of it to a punch bowl.  Add strawberries and strawberry soda and stir.  Add more ice cream to the top.

Chocolate Coffee Punch
8 tbsp. instant coffee
3 qts. hot water
1 tbsp. vanilla
2 c. sugar
2 qts. milk
1 small can chocolate syrup
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream

Heat water.  Add coffee and sugar and stir until dissolved.  Let cool.  Add milk, vanilla and chocolate. Refrigerate overnight if possible. 30 minutes before serving, scoop ice cream into punch bowl and add coffee mixture.  Makes 40 servings.


Happy Baby Girl, Heidi!

No comments:

Post a Comment